April 14, 2021
ESA Responds to DOE RFI on Risks in the Battery Supply Chain
ESA responded to the request for information issued yesterday by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) regarding risks in the battery supply chain.
ESA expressed broad support of DOE’s efforts to reduce supply chain vulnerabilities for batteries and other energy storage technologies, which will be critical for decarbonization, electrification, and resilience.
ESA offered the following recommendations:
- Increase U.S. domestic demand for batteries that spur domestic supply chain investment;
- Invest in new manufacturing facilities in the U.S.;
- Increase innovation investments that make the U.S. supply chain more competitive;
- Guide procurement decisions by federal and local authorities to be coordinated with the pace of increasing domestic supply; and
- Promote a diverse international battery supply chain with U.S. allies.