Webinar: Keep it Going: The Growing Market for Long Duration Storage
Original Webinar Date/Time:
Wednesday, June 23, 2021
1:00 PM ET – 2:00 PM ET
Advances in electrification and increased penetration of wind and solar on the grid has sparked intense interest in longer duration energy storage technologies that can cost-effectively deliver 8 to 12 hours of power. The promise of durations that eventually will be measured in days or even months raises the potential value of long duration storage even more. The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) estimates a market potential of hundreds of gigawatts for longer duration storage, driven by aggressive decarbonization policies. This webinar will feature companies actively engaged in bringing long-duration technologies into the market, and address questions such as:
- What long-duration technologies are currently on the market, and which technologies are poised for near-term commercial development?
- Which opportunities are most attractive for long duration storage, and what barriers impede the penetration of such technologies?
Presenters will outline the opportunities they perceive and challenges they confront in the pursuit of cost-effective long duration storage solutions.
Host: Marc Chupka, VP of Research & Programs, U.S. Energy Storage Association
- Wesley Cole, Researcher, Strategic Energy Analysis Center, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
- Jon Norman, President, Hydrostor
- Salvatore Minopoli, Vice President of Operations, Largo Clean Energy