Opening and Accelerating Energy Storage Markets
ESA’s policy activities focus on three overarching goals to advance the U.S. market for the full range of energy storage technologies:
- Increase revenues available to storage, such as by creating electricity markets and programs that reward flexibility and establishing deployment targets & incentive programs;
- Enhance the competitiveness of storage, such as by including storage in state and regional planning processes and updating procurement evaluation methods; and
- Ensure grid & market access for storage, such as through improving grid interconnection processes, codes & standards, and multiple use functionality of storage.
In addition, ESA enagages on regulatory matters affecting the future market of the energy storage industry, including end-of-life processes, supply chain issues, and workforce development.
Engaging at All Levels of Government
ESA formulates public policies to advance the energy storage industry and seeks their adoption through advocacy to policymakers across state governments, the federal government, and regional wholesale markets. Learn more about our specific policy activities:
- State policy engagement
- Federal policy engagement
- Wholesale markets engagement
In addition, ESA participates in advisory roles for national and international standards development and public policy knoweldge sharing.
Pushing Forward the Frontiers of Policy
Energy storage is a unique technology, and ESA is dedicated to pushing the boundaries of public policymaking with diverse perspectives to create ever more opportunities for the energy storage industry. ESA’s runs Policy Working Groups among select members to formulate official positions on a variety of cutting-edge topics—learn more about our Working Groups and how to get involved.