ESA educates Members of Congress on energy storage technologies and the U.S. industry, building broad and bipartisan support for initiatives on storage to address a variety of public policy priorities. ESA advocates directly to Member offices on legislation affecting the future of the storage industry, as well as mobilizing ESA members in outreach campaigns and coordinating legislative endorsements with allied industries and other aligned stakeholders.
ESA engages with the numerous committees of jurisdiction to propose legislation and include storage topics in educational and oversight hearings, including but not limited to:
- Senate Finance / House Ways & Means – establishing a level playing field for energy storage with other tax-advantaged energy technologies
- Senate Energy & Natural Resource / House Energy & Commerce / House Science, Space, & Technology – enhancing existing programs and developing new initiatives to drive storage technology innovation and deployment, including storage in energy infrastructure programs; sustain oversight of FERC and DOE activities on energy storage
- Senate Appropriations / House Appropriations – increasing and maintaining public investments in storage technology innovation and deployment
- Senate Armed Services / House Armed Services – incorporating energy storage into mission assurance and installation energy procurement
- Senate Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs / House Homeland Security – incorporating energy storage into resilience and disaster efforts